It’s Nice To Meet You!

Hi everyone!

My name is Jasmine, and I’m an English Literature & Criticism major at UMass Dartmouth. I’m a fully online student, and I attend UMass from the comfort of my home, surrounded by copious piles of books and two incessantly attention-seeking lovebug cats. 

I’ve completed a Creative Writing AA, and I work as a Freelance Writer in my every day, so you’d think blog writing would be natural to me, but this sort of feels like an awkward first date.

And on that note, 

Welcome to my Ecofeminism blog for this course! 

I’ve chosen the Autostraddle blog to take inspiration from and try to model with my own blog.

I love the way that all of the pieces featured on the Autostraddle site embody an intelligent yet humorous, conversational, and relatable tone. It makes reading their op-eds and other articles feel like you’re sitting on the couch talking to your best friend. I’d like my blog to have that same kind of voice. 

Inherently, with a topic like Ecofeminism, not only will I be covering the pivotal hybrid of Environmentalism and Feminism, but these pieces will incorporate conversations of paramount importance, such as oppression, race, class, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, and culture. At first glance, this seems really heavy. But in order to dismantle systems of oppression, foremost, we need to get comfortable talking about them, and that’s my goal here. I want this blog to take intimidating yet important topics and make them accessible and digestible. 

Autostraddle has a major focus on sex-positive feminism with provocative posts ranging from dating advice to NSFW product reviews. This is an aspect of feminism that won’t really be amplified on my blog. Not because it isn’t a significant facet of freeing oneself from patriarchal oppression, but because I’m pretty shy about that kind of stuff! 😳

————-

Circling back to my introduction, I mentioned that I’m an online student at UMass, and that’s because I live in New Jersey! At the beginning of my relationship with my girlfriend, I moved across the country to her home in Texas. But after a year, we packed up and drove cross-country (again) to settle in the Garden State. She loves it here (thankfully), and I hated it there. Too hot, too many bugs, and way too many dirty looks when I’d hold her hand in the grocery store. 

We live on the coast, like a 3-minute drive to the beach, so there are plenty of environmental causes that are prevalent where I live. We have beaches, wooded hiking trails, suburbs, and country (like the Pine Barrens). 

We have our issues. You may have heard that NJ stinks… and that’s because we have unhealthy air quality. NJ Spotlight News reported that “New Jersey has never met the federal health-quality standards for ground-level ozone, more commonly known as smog, which envelops parts of the state during hot summer days.” We suffer so much pollution, especially from neighboring states and cities like Philly and NYC. 

Also, since almost the entirety of NJ is a suburb of those large cities, we are developing our open spaces and farmland faster than ever. More and more people want to escape congested cities and live “down the shore,” but that’s resulting in deforestation, over-development, and overcrowding. 

Conservationists have made headway, and an amendment has been made to our state laws that require money to be put into preservation efforts. Previously, up to $200 million a year was used to buy open space and farmland and develop urban parks. Now, about $80 million a year is dedicated to our Department of Environmental Protection. 

We didn’t earn the title The Garden State for nothing. But now, it’s become an environmental conservationist effort to maintain the lush greenery, fields of sweet corn, and rows of vine-ripened tomatoes that we were once known for.

13 Replies to “It’s Nice To Meet You!”

1. Hi Jasmine,

I have been to NJ quite a few times, as we have family friends who live in Newark, and over the years I have seen how much more crowded the city has become. Overcrowding is an issue that can be observed across the nation, including in small towns.

I lived for over a decade in Westport, a rural town in the South Coast of MA, and in that short time the town saw a significant increase in population. As you mentioned, people here also wanted to “escape” the neighboring overcrowded cities where crime and violence have been on the rise for the past 30 years. As I am sure is the case in NJ, far too many landowners sold tens of thousands of acres to contractors who have made a significant profit at the expense of our environment. As a result, Westport has seen an increase in wild animal attacks as new residential developments continue to emerge almost out of thin air. Not to mention the amount of pollution that is now making its way to the local beaches which used to be one of the town’s jewels.

I look forward to your posts and to discussing these important topics!

Best,
    Rose

1. Hi Rose,

It’s so unfortunate to see the consequences of overdevelopment happening all around us. Just near my house, they tore down acres of woods to construct townhomes. Now, there are more deer and rabbits than ever running across the highways and seeking refuge in peoples’ yards.

Don’t even get me started on the litter that covers our beaches!

1. Jasmine, I lived at the end of a private drive on a busy road in Westport, and we had wetlands behind our house with no fencing. The number of deer and rabbits killed crossing the road at the top of our drive was heartbreaking… 🙁

2. Hi Jasmine! It’s nice to meet you!
    First, I would like to say that your blog is very eye catching!
    Your cats look are very cute, look very fun and fuzzy!
    In the picture of you and your girlfriend, are you the one on the right or the left?
    I appreciate the blog that you chose, because I am also very sex positive when it comes to relationships! Even though I identify as heterosexual, I don’t judge anyone for there sexual preferences, and say ‘go for it’ with whoever you’re interested in!
    To further prove my point, I actually work in a doctors office, where the family practice doctors there, also have a clinic set up in the same office for the care, and treatment of all genders, transgender patients and so on. I have been there for almost 2 years! The people are awesome, and I love the diversity of different identities! Here is the link to the practice: https://www.genderwellnesscenter.com
    I support all identities and preferences!

I didn’t know that New Jersey was experiencing the issues that you have described above! However, I am happy that more is being done to solve the issue! I love hearing about urban developments that are being implemented to try and fight the issue of the smell and to provide better air quality. That picture of the lake that you posted, looks beautiful! Is that a result of the conservation efforts from the department? Maybe I should see if the town that I live in has a Department of Environmental Protection, and what they are up to!
    I am looking forward to reading more of your writing in the future!

1. Hi amiglietta,

Thank you for the kind words! And I suppose I should’ve specified I’m the one on the right! My girlfriend, Victoria, is the one on the left LOL

It’s so awesome to hear about the practice you work for. I checked out their About page, and it says that the network is based in upstate NY, is that where you’re from?

The last photo I took is of the Navesink River at Hartshorne Woods Park. It’s part of the Monmouth County Park System and very near where I live.

According to their brochure, “the park is named after Richard Hartshorne, an English Quaker from London who settled here in
      1669 and acquired more than 2,400 acres of land.
      Hartshorne’s vast landholdings were divided among his
      descendants and gradually sold, but most of what is now
      Hartshorne Woods Park remained in family ownership
      until the mid-1900s. The Park System acquired the first
      660 acres of this park in 1974. The U.S. government
      conveyed additional land in 1984 and subsequent
      purchases – including the 44-acre Claypit Creek section
      in 2005 – brought the park to its current size.”

3. Jasmine,
    I can’t tell you how impressed I am by not only the graphic design of your “Blog” but by the content as well! It is impactful…..

I live on the beach in a seacoast town in mid MA. Every year, I am witness to the careless, disrespectful and damaging behavior that many visitors are guilty of. I walk along the beach early in the morning, before there are many “footprints, beach blankets and abandoned food containers. It has become acceptable that there are times when the beaches are “closed” due to bacterial contamination. That’s what happens when the eco-system become unstable due to negative practices by selfish people.
    I can remember when the white sand stretched more than 50 feet before meeting the water. Now, there may be a 35-foot distance. The “dunes” which are protected and “cordoned” off are constantly being trampled on……So depressing……
    Catherine

1. Catherine,

Thank you so much for the kind words! I have a Canva subscription, and I love to use it! LOL For a while, I managed Barnes & Noble Holmdel’s social media accounts (@bnhomdel) and created custom content daily, and I kind of fell in love with Graphic Design, but I’m by no means trained. Now, I design digital goods like stationary or notebooks for use with GoodNotes or Notability on Etsy! (If you’re interested, you can check out the million-and-two endeavors that I juggle on my website voraciousbibliophage.com)

I’ve never heard of a beach closing for bacterial contamination! That’s so alarming and sounds like something out of a dystopian sci-fi novel.

I know what you mean about how the beach seems to be shrinking. My grandmother’s house is literally on the beach; you walk out of her front door and hit sand. When Hurricane Sandy hit NJ hard, it was a miracle that the dune in front of her house held when so many other ones faltered.

I’m wishing you more walks with clean sand and beautiful views!

4. Jasmine –

May I start by saying hello to my fellow Jersian! I am from northern NJ. I live about 25 minutes outside of NYC. Another interesting thing we have in common is (like) I have had family that moved to Texas and then some moved back! I am so happy for you that you and your girlfriend are living here together in a safer and more accepting environment!

Living in NJ we are no strangers to the smells. Thankfully, it isn’t often that we encounter it up north unless we are driving through major cities like Newark. You certainly picked a vital topic for our state. Pollution is epic here. I was not aware of the efforts the state was making to develop more farmland and parks! I am so happy to see that! After reading your blog I did a little digging and found this website that charts pollution and provides updates about air quality. It is backed by the EPA. It charts fires and other environmental elements. It also has some great resources for education:

https://www.airnow.gov/

I can tell you that we have so many issues up north as well with the air quality. Many people are also battling health issues that are believed to be the result of exposure to the pollution after 9/11 that lingered over us for months and months. My husband worked at ground zero for months restoring cell phone service and I do worry about his health. Cancer, sarcoidosis, chronic lung and heart issues seem to be plaguing many of the people that worked and lived in and around that area.

I am extremely jealous that you live three minutes away from the beach! How lucky you are. For me it is about an hour drive and I make the pilgrimage gladly all year! I especially enjoy the Jersey shore during the winter. It is stunning! (I was actually married down in Cape May!)

Like you, I love the areas in and around the shore. I am VERY concerned about the coastal environments in NJ. In my research about climate change and the sea levels that are rising more quickly in NJ than anywhere else in the country, I encountered information about the Pine Barrens. So beautiful and yet they have suffered greatly from a variety of environmental factors. Some great resources I encountered were through Rutgers University. As someone who lives so close to the ocean, you might find some of them useful to you in keeping informed and staying safe during the rainy seasons!

https://climatechange.rutgers.edu/ https://njbeaches.org/
    https://njbeaches.org/

Thank you for sharing with us Jasmine! I look forward to reading future posts! T

1. Hi Teresa,

Thank you for the comment and for the thoughtful links!

If there’s one thing that’s awesome about NJ, it’s that the people truly couldn’t care less about what other people are doing LOL Everyone minds their own business; live and let live!

I give you credit for living so close to the city, I always get anxiety when I have to drive on those super congested, super hilly roads, with so many One Ways it makes my head spin. I much prefer my two-lane highways that run parallel to the coast LOL

I didn’t know much about NJ’s environmental efforts until researching for this class. When we moved to NJ, my girlfriend took a NJ History class at Brookdale CC (I didn’t even know that was a class), and she learned so much about the protected aquifer that lies underneath a portion of the Pine Barrens. I don’t know much about it, but I found a page on the Pineland’s Alliance website that digs a little deeper into its significance. Perhaps this is something I can look further into later on this semester!

shorturl.at/fhp09

5. Hi Jasmine,
    I loved reading your blog! The images you included were eye-catching and your writing style kept me wanting to read on!

Your cats are adorable! I have two cats myself, but they have very opposing personalities. One cannot get enough attention while the other is content with sleeping all day without any bother at all.

I’m glad that you and your girlfriend found a place that you both love. It’s never easy being in a place that doesn’t feel like home. I’ve never traveled to New Jersey, but I’d love to one day. It’s disheartening to see so much of our green space being overdeveloped nonchalantly. While of course there are environmental problems everywhere, urbanized overdevelopment comes with its own set of issues as you have mentioned with the poor air quality. Unfortunately, much of this overdevelopment is placed in specific communities by major corporations. It is up to us to make a change for the future!

Massachusetts also monitors air quality: http://eeaonline.eea.state.ma.us/dep/massair/web/#/pollution/map/max

Although it may say there is no risk one day, there have been several issues warned in the summer.

Looking forward to reading your blogs this semester!

Best,
    Kylie C.

6. Hi Jasmine – great start to your blog! I think you picked the right website to model your blog after, because you mentioned that Autostraddle conveys a “humorous, conversational, and relatable tone.” I think your post holds these qualities as well…even though this is a different “type” of writing, you are clearly very comfortable with writing and I’m looking forward to hearing what you have to say throughout the class. Best of luck!

7. Hi Jasmine!
    First I wanted to say that I think that your blog is beautifully done and your cats are the cutest! I have been trying to convince my roommates to adopt a cat for some time now and I think they’re finally starting to open up to the idea.
    I really liked how you described the blog, Autostraddle, as sitting on the couch talking to your best friend. I think it makes it more user friendly and allows the reader to have a more fun, insightful read, which I believe your blog sheds that same light.
    As someone who doesn’t know a lot about New Jersey other than shortly visiting once or twice, I was really intrigued with what you were discussing. Specifically, the development of urban parks and protecting open spaces/farmland piqued my interest. Urban parks can help by not only sequestering carbon but also removing air pollution in New Jersey so I am happy to hear that efforts are going on to protect these important outdoor spaces. Urban parks also reminded me of cities planting trees in hot spots around the city in order to decrease the temperature during the hotter times of the year. By planting trees in areas that are lower income, decreasing the temperature in these areas can be life changing.
    Here’s an article called The Deadly Impact of Urban Heat by Alexandra Witze if you’re interested!
    https://media.nature.com/original/magazine-assets/d41586-021-01881-4/d41586-021-01881-4.pdf
    I look forward to reading more of your blog posts as the semester continues!